Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A-Z Blog Challenge: E

E is for E-Books.

How many of you own an e-reader by now?  Though I absolutely love holding a book, my hand cradling the binding, the sound of the page turning…it was like taking a step into the next part of the adventure, and the cute little book marks with tassels marking the last spot read, I have to admit the convenience of having my entire library, including the classics, tucked away in my hand bag is mighty attractive.  I could be anywhere, and if a few minutes present themselves and I could call up a favorite.  And with the new opportunities opening for authors, new favorites are waiting to be discovered.

One thing is for sure.  The e-generation is making its mark on the publishing industry.  According to the Association of American Publishers, e-book sales in January 2011 increased nearly 116% over the last year while paperback sales fell nearly 31%.

Did you know that you could download many of the classics free?  I just found that out.  (Old school that I am).  Here’s another article that sheds some light on the debate over paper vs. plastic.

Even with all the technological advances, I can’t get past the feel of a paper book in hand.  Both options have advantages, and both transport us to worlds to enjoy.  I’ll just keep with both, I think, and am glad my publisher offers several options for my writing.

Do you favor one over the other?  Any views?


.

7 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

I haven't gotten an e-book yet, but I have plans to. I like the feel of books and I read a fair amount in the tub so the e-reader would be out there. I am willing to try any form of story telling - I love audio books in the car so...Jan Morrison - come by my home in Nova Scotia for a cuppa tea by linking here! It's sunny today and the snowdrops are up.

Lilac said...

I don't have an e-reader yet either but I'd like one. But I would never give up my book books.

Dawn Embers said...

I did my post on e-books too. I've been using my sister's Nook cause I don't have an e-reader but received a book to review that was only in electronic version. I have three others but I'll have to read them on my laptop. As much as I prefer paperback books, I do see the convenience of e-readers and I may have to get one for all the interesting books that aren't coming out in traditional formats. Still won't change my love for the other books.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

I've always loved having the physical book to read, but since I've received my Kindle it's been practically welded to my hand.

I wanted to comment on your foreshadowing blog but, duh, couldn't find the comment box. I recently read a book that had tension in every paragraph but no foreshadowing. So I was tense and clueless from beginning to end.

Charlene A. Wilson said...

Jan: e-readers and baths would definately be a bad mix. Lol!

I'm with you, Lilac. :)

Dawn: Yeah, electronic publishing has really opened the door to a flood of new stories.

Gail: Thanks for bringing the comment issue on my F post to my attention. All fixed. ;) Question...did you enjoy being wound up through the book like that? Did it up the suspense for you? Or did it frustrate you? (author curiousity. lol)


Thank you, everyone, for stopping by and commenting!

Mary G. said...

I don't own an e-reader, and, despite the advantages, I probably won't ever get one. Reading a book on a small screen just doesn't feel like a book should. Give me paper and bookmarks any day.

Charlene A. Wilson said...

Oh! Book marks with the tassles, Mary! Lol. I know what you mean.