As a writer, I know how sometimes it’s difficult to make your character into a real person. We need to portray them as three dimensional, but they just aren’t coming alive. And nobody wants a hero/heroine that’s flat and has no depth. Well, never fear. I found the mother of all character interviews! That’s right. This thing is 253 questions long.
So…I’ve broken it down into four posts.
Through the month of September, every Saturday I will post another section of this sixteen part character questionnaire. This list was compiled by Anastasia V. Pergakis and with her permission I’m able to pass it along to you.
- What is your name?
- Do you have any nicknames? If you do, who gave it to you and why?
- How old are you now?
- When were you born?
- Where do you call home now?
- To what social class do you belong?
- What is your eye color?
- What is your hair color?
- Do you have any distinguishing facial features?
- Do you have any birthmarks? Where are they?
- Do you have any scars? How did you get them?
- Do you have any tattoos or other markings? How and why did you get them?
- Do you have any allergies, diseases, or other physical weaknesses?
- Are you right or left handed?
- What does your voice sound like?
- How do you dress most of the time?
- How do you dress up?
- How do you dress down?
- What do you wear when you go to sleep?
- Do you wear any jewelry?
- What words and/or phrases do you use frequently?
- Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
- Do you have any bad habits? If so, what are they and how do you plan to get rid of them?
- Do you have a lifelong dream or aspiration?
- Do you own a car (or other form of transportation)? Why or why not? Describe it.
- What is your current state of mind?
- How close are you to your family?
- Do you have a spouse or significant other? Describe them.
- Have you started your own family? Describe them if you do. If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
- Who was your father and what was he like?
- Who was your mother and what was she like?
- Who are you closest to in your family?
- Is there someone in your family you wish you were closer to?
- What was your parent’s marriage like?
- Did they remain married? If not, how did that affect you? When did they split?
- Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like?
- What is the worst thing one of your siblings ever did to you?
- What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done to one of your siblings?
- When’s the last time you saw a member of your family? Where are they now?
- Did you meet any other family members? (Aunts, Uncles, etc) Describe them.
Friends and Relationships with Others
- In general, how do you treat other people that you have just met?
- Does your treatment of people change depending on how well you know them and if so how?
- Who is the most important person in your life and why?
- Who is the person you respect the most and why?
- Who are your friends? Describe them.
- Do you have a best friend? Describe them.
- Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?
- Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who and why?
- If you died or went missing, who would miss you?
- Who is the person you despise the most and why?
- Do you tend to argue with people or avoid conflict?
- Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
- Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
- Do you care what others think of you?
- What habit do others have that annoys you the most?
- What is the most important quality you look for in a friend?
- What do you most value in your friends?
Growing Up (Childhood)
- Where were you born?
- Where did you grow up?
- How would you describe your childhood in general?
- What is your earliest memory?
- What is your fondest childhood memory?
- What is your worst childhood memory?
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- As a child, what were your favorite activities?
- As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display?
- As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends and what were they like?
- As a child, what was your favorite toy?
- As a child, what was your favorite game to play?
Well, that does it for this installment of September’s Saturday Character Questionnaire. Sit that hero or heroine down, pour them a cuppa and have fun getting to know them.
Let me know how it goes!