Friday, October 14, 2011

Character Chat With Captain Derac Vidor - Cleanse Fire Released

Today I have the pleasure of announcing the release of one of my best friend's debut novel, Cleanse Fire.  It's book one in the Kinir Elite Chronicles.  Anastasia V. Pergakis is busy promoting but I love character chats and am more than happy to have the hero of the Chronicles, Captain Derac Vidor, over for a visit.

Derac, welcome! Come in, have a seat. 
Hello Charlene. Thanks for having me.
I can't tell you how tickled I am to have you over. *blushes* Can I get you something to drink?
Oh, just water would be fine. Thank you.
*waves a hand and heads to the refrigerator*  I know I probably don't have anything like you do in Kinir...but water I can do.
*laughs* We have what you would call beer and fruit juices. I just don't care much for either. And I’m on duty, so, of course, no alcohol of any kind.
*hands him a glass*  Kinir is quite different than Earth.  *sits across from him* Tell me about it.
It's a small country compared to some on Earth. But, we have a rich history. Being elves and having such long lives, allows for our country to be successful, as those in power stay there longer. The country is rather flat, soft rolling hills of green grass and golden grain. In the spring the meadows bloom with hundreds of different flowers. *sigh* It's lovely.
It does sound lovely.  We have areas of rolling hills and grain...but, we have big cities that take over with their smog. Lol.
Kinir City is the largest city, and the capital. It is rather 'dirty' compared to some of the smaller villages, I suppose. But, it's still beautiful in its’ own way. Especially with the parliament building standing tall. Then, all the colors in the store fronts and the hustle and bustle of city live as the elves go about their lives.
Compared to Earth's advances in technology, ours are limited. Which also means cleaner air and cities, I suppose. We travel with horse and cart - or on foot.
I believe on Earth you have running water inside your homes and something called electricity? We don't have anything as special as that. Still use candles and oil lamps to light our way at night. And it takes a long time to heat up water for a bath, as we heat it up one pot at a time on our wood burning stoves. *smiles* But, I love it. I wouldn't do well on your Earth. Far too loud and dirty and cold for me.
Lol.  I'm afraid I wouldn't do well without our little conveniences.
*laughs* Yes, I'm sure. But I know of nothing else and while your devices do seem magical to me, I'll stick with what I know.
I noticed you mentioned the Parliament Building standing tall when you described Kinir City's beauty.  You do love your country.
Yes. I do. My father was a farmer and he worked the land with pride. He taught me to do the same. Digging in the dirt, watching things grow, then seeing it bring elves the things they need - that's magical.
Indeed, it is. *smiles*
But, I don't think I was ever cut out for the farming life. I wanted to get out, see the world, meet new creatures. The Army was my way to do that. *shrug* When I retire, I will go back to the farm and fulfill my duty to my family. But, for now, I'm happy to be where I am. Protecting my country - the land and the elves - from those that want to destroy it.
You're the leader of an elite team of elves. Tell me a bit about that.
*shrug* There isn't much to say beyond that, honestly. While I am Captain of the team, I don't hold myself to a higher standard than them. I train just as hard. I fight beside them and would die beside them, regardless of my rank.
With the position though, comes more responsibility, I suppose. I do have to make sure they stay in line - as they are prone to forget. *ahem* And, then of course, there are the debriefings, paperwork, and dealing with my superiors.
You're too modest, Derac.  I had a peek at your story.  A team of six specialized elves with very different personalities spending practically all your time together? They need a good leader.
Yes. That is why I say that I don't hold myself higher to them. They are my family in a sense. And yes, every team needs a leader. But, I think there are many more out there better at it than I am. I look at my rank as more of....the big brother. I look out for my team, I feel responsible for them. But I'm not "separated" from them. Does that make sense?
*leans head with a smile*  Yes. It does. Tell me... How did you come to Anastasia and get her to write your story?
I observed from a far for a long while before talking to her. She was involved with another book at the time and I didn't want to interrupt that. So, I watched and waited and learned. She has a deep sense of patriotism for her country and that called to me. Her father, you see, served in the Army. And she feels this overwhelming pride and love in him. *smile* That's when I knew she was the perfect author to tell my story. She would understand my own loyalty. *shrug* She understands me.
Awww.  That's wonderful. And now your story is published!  How does it feel?
It's almost the same as getting a medal, I suppose. I feel pride in what we created. And I'm eagerly awaiting what people think. Yet, at the same time, the connection that Anastasia and I have from this experience is worth more to me than people reading the book.
You're so gallant. *winks*  I know she's sniffling as she reads this. Lol
*chuckles* Yes. I'm sure she is.
So, fill us in on Cleanse Fire.  Would you give us some highlights?
In Cleanse Fire, we discover a traitor in the chain of command. So this leads us to abandon our normal missions to protect the citizens, as we hunt down the one who betrayed us.
The mission goes awry, however, when we discover that he was not the only player in the conspiracy. We have to deal with a powerful wizard intent on killing on us. Attacked on two fronts - our allies growing thin - we fight back as hard as we can and bring to justice those that plotted against us.
And I know you will not be satisfied, Charlene, if I don't mention that a little romance happens in the book as well. *wink*
You read my mind! My next question was... *crosses legs and leans in close*  What's this little love that blooms between you and Kie?
*small smile*
Oh, no. That is not all you’re giving me.
*bigger smile*
*flashes huge smile and ups brows*
What do you want me to say? She snuck in and caught me unaware. I had no intention of falling in love again - with anyone. Ever. But it just *shrug* happened. I can't explain it.
Well, I'm thrilled she stole your heart.
*laughs* I am too.
Well, Derac, I promised Anastasia I wouldn't keep you here too long.  I know she has a lot of plans to keep you busy with promoting
Yes, she does. But, it's fun. I've enjoyed it so far. We also have book two to write.
That's right.  What's it called again?
Right now it's titled Fire Renewed. But, I'm not sure if Anastasia will keep that or not. The story is coming out a little differently than she thought. A little miscommunication on my part.
Lol.  Well, I look forward to it.  So, keep the communication going. Thank you so much for coming all the way to Arkansas to visit with me.
It was my pleasure, Charlene. I enjoyed it. We'll have to do it again when the next book comes out, yes?
*takes a deep breath and tries not to squeal* Oh, definately.
*charming smile. kisses Charlene's hand* Until then.


Cleanse Fire

Cleanse Fire Cover Art

Complete the mission, no matter what…

Captain Derac Vidor has served Kinir for nearly twenty years. It’s his life, his blood, his soul. And then his Commander betrays everything Derac holds dear. Now he has to focus on his own life and his team instead of saving the citizens of Kinir.

Treason is only the beginning…

Fueled by rage, the team chases the source to their Commander’s betrayal – a powerful wizard bent on revenge. The wizard seeks to destroy the Kinir Elite, in both mind and body. No place is safe, even among their allies.

The past holds the key…

Derac’s tragic past may be the key to saving the team. But can he face the gruesome nightmare in time?




Get your e-copy at Amazon.com or pre-order your paperback HERE.

Contact Anastasia at:




No comments: